Search Me (My Blog)

Nov 18, 2011

The Science of the Art of Matching

In research done in conjunction with the eHarmony labs, scientists have shed some light about the way we tend to match people.

I'll snap to the punch line: If I like person A, and I like person C, I figure A and C will like each other. It's like a relational version of the transitive property (if A = B and B = C, then A = C).

Yeah, people sometimes make it more complicated than that, but it's pretty much how things go. I found this to be very true, whether I'm being set up by friends, family, other relatives, co-workers or anyone else around me. If they don't like me, or they don't like the woman, we're not getting set up. If they happen to like me and some woman (pretty much any woman, in my experience), I'm pretty likely to hear about it.

Think about it, has anyone -ANYONE -ever told you "I don't really like him/her, but I think they'll make a great match for you." With or without a specified reason, it's not likely to happen. Unless they dislike (the same thing about) you, and figure y'all would make two peas in a pod.

1 comment:

  1. That's how my worst dates happen. "This guy is so nice. He must be for you." Um, even he was actually nice (he wasn't) he still wouldn't be for me.

    ReplyDelete